Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A Day in the Life

When my sister read my post about nationality she said that it reminded her of a rhyme (like a rap) that she'd written.  I said that she should send it to me so that I could put the link on my blog.  That way the world could have two Chavez ladies' ideas on the subject.  Well she sent me the rap but said that she wasn't ready to go public.  I am trying to convince her otherwise for my large readership of about 3 people.

In other super exciting things in my life, I have some funny stories about the kids.  They are probably mostly just funny to me. Since this blog is to be a family journal they will be recorded here never the less.

So last night I am watching "The Sing-Off" (I know how embarrassed I should be by this) with what I thought was all my kids.  The younger two sort of venture in and out because TV doesn't interest them unless its Barbies or Barney.  Now you must understand, I really don't watch reality TV.  However, I linked to one of Vocal Points first performances on the show through some article I was reading and then I became interested to see how they would do.  Anyway, we were watching when all of the sudden I heard this buzzing noise.  I'd actually heard it for a while but I tend to ignore irritating things and hope someone else will take care of it.  With JR out of town, the two oldest kids watching TV with me, and the other two people left to solve the problem being aged three and under, the noise didn't go away.  Finally, I got up to see what it was.  The electric Little Mermaid toothbrush was stuck behind the bookshelf.  I called for Lucy but she didn't answer.  So I went to look in the closet.  The door had been locked but wasn't closed all the way. So when I pushed it open I saw Lucy lying there asleep.  She must have somehow got the toothbrush stuck and decided I would get mad. So she went in the closet and locked the door assuming she would be safe there.  She was confident enough in her escape that she fell fast asleep.  Here is the cutey I found.
 The next day I found a cracked egg on the floor and I asked Lucy if she did it since her body language sort of gave her away. She said no in a very unconvincing way.  I assured her I wouldn't get mad if she told me the truth but she persisted in her lie.  Then I asked her, "Did you want to see what would happen when you cracked it?"  She told me yes.  So I gave her a disinfectant wipe to help me clean it up.  I must have been too harsh on her lately about other innocent mistakes borne out of curiosity.

Another story about my kids involves Emilia and Lorenzo. This story is mostly me bragging about both me and my kids so if you can't stand this kind of stuff please stop reading now.  Today I felt that my hard work had paid off as I walked in and saw this.



 My kids look at books a lot, but mostly I see them looking at the pictures.  This time they were both so engrossed in their books.  They sat there and read them from cover to cover without any prodding from me.  That is the key part.  They had been taken in. Granted they were reading easy books, but I think that's why they were able to get into them.  They weren't struggling with any words. Recently I stopped telling them what books to read and instead let them choose. And what do you know? They are finally enjoying it. Lorenzo mostly chooses books about animals and nature.  Emilia likes stories about girls her age.  Could they be any more typical?

This is what I've been working for since they were three.  I knew if they were strong readers that they would enjoy it. I  never read any books as a kid for whatever reason.  In high school I read like one or two books all the way through.  Some how in college I became an English Major and read a whole bunch of books.  I obviously wish I had read more as a kid.  I want to help my children have that experience.

I'm sure most people have kids that read books for pleasure without having been taught at an early age to read.  I am mostly paranoid about everything and therefore try my hardest to control outcomes.  So if you are one of those parents who doesn't really work with their kids and then they just automatically are amazing its probably best not to tell me about it.

Lastly I am just going to add a video of Paloma to round out the post.

2 comments:

Patrick said...

Love the stories. The one about Lucy is hilarious. It makes you wonder if people without kids realize what kind of excitement they are really missing!!?

--Eliza

noelle said...

i love this post. i think it's my favorite so far. out of all three. hurry and post more! i miss these babies. i would move back to mexico just to be around you guys again. okay, wait. i'm going to try calling you again right now... i have lots of other things to say to you that can't be written in a comment.