Saturday, December 3, 2011

Segue

     First, I have to tell you about Lorenzo and what a good boy he is. (This is probably a good time to let you know that when I brag about my kids I am hardly bragging about myself because I believe that they are mostly just good little people.  My contribution to their upbringing is to give them issues to have to work out when they are older.)  So today was their Winter Festival, a show the school puts on where each of the classes does a dance.  They practice for a month, get costumes, and even rent out a theater hall to perform in.  A little over the top?  Yes.  But totally the type of stuff Mexicans love.  A few days ago we found out that Lorenzo's semi-final for soccer was on the same day as the festival.  I asked Lorenzo what he wanted to do.  He said that he wanted to go to his soccer game and that he'd just show me his dance "right here in the front room."

     Then I said, just sort of thinking out loud, "What are we going to do if the final is on a Sunday?"  I wasn't wondering if we'd go or not, but more about how we'd console Lorenzo about missing out on the final.

      And Lorenzo responds with out skipping a beat, "Then we go to Church instead."

     "That's right."  I said.

       In the beginning we just wouldn't tell Lorenzo when there were games on Sunday.  But this year we've told him and have asked him what he wants to do.  At first we were a little manipulative saying something like, "There is a game on Sunday.  Daddy and I dedicate Sunday to Heavenly Father by going to church, spending time with family and friends, and serving others.  What will you do?"  Each time he's said that he wants to go to church. Even if they've developed from coercion, I'm glad he has his priorities straight.  I am glad he is still little and that it's not a big deal if he skips games on Sunday because I  know there will be a day when it will be a much weightier matter.

What's not at all a weighty matter is when you see someone wearing the same shirt you own and you frighteningly think, "Is that what it looks like when I wear it?"   That happened to me tonight at Costco.  I still have a lot of maturing to do.

     That's what Emilia's gymnastics teacher says about her, "Todavia le falta madurez."  She said Emilia needs to be able to concentrate for longer periods of time and stay focused (I wonder where she learned how to not focus) even when it's not her turn. Whatevs teach.

     Gymnastics is probably not a good sport to choose for your kids unless you have just one because it's expensive.  And its probably not a good sport to choose for your kids for a good many more reasons.  Never the less, it is the sport that Emilia has chosen and that she loves so far.  She is currently "on trial" for lack of a better term to be on the team for girls her age.  Ridiculous.  The little girls are bratty, the teacher is super serious, and the practices are long.  But she comes out of practice happy and asking me to "go to gymnastics everyday and just quit swimming."  I am not 100% convinced about gymnastics so we are just taking it slowly, one step at a time.

     Something that does have me quick-stepping though is Harry Conick Jr.'s Christmas Album.  I love that guy.  I remember listening to his album "We are in Love" the summer between 8th and 9th grade non-stop.  Yes, I mean this to imply I've always had advanced musical taste.  So you can trust my recommendations.


1 comment:

noelle said...

now this one is my favorite post. i miss shopping at costco. you know the ground beef there is so much better than the costco here in the u.s.? i'm calling you between 8-9pm tonight. keep your cell close.