Monday, October 31, 2011

The Great Debate




My husband (JR) and I have an ongoing debate about whether or not I can say I'm Mexican-American (I sure did on my college applications). Here is the evidence to support my claim:
  • My last name is Chavez
  • My paternal grandparent's last names were Ruiz and Chavez and they spoke Spanish in their home
  • We eat beans, green chili, tamales and tortillas at all Chavez family gatherings
  • My dad totally looks like half of the people in Mexico City
JR says that I'm as much Mexican as he is German. His last name is German. But whatever. It's not like his grandparents spoke German in their home or like they eat bratwurst and sauerkraut at their family gatherings. His Dad may or may not look like half of the people in Berlin.

And while I didn't grow up speaking Spanish in my home, the ancestral forces have pulled me back to the motherland and taught me her language. I am so Mexican. The evidence continues to grow in my favor.

For one thing, I love living in Mexico (apart from the traffic). It was easy for me to feel comfortable here because I see the people here as my people, even if it makes JR laugh at me to say such a thing.

My children aren't really sure what they are. They were born in El Salvador, lived in Mexico for as long as they can remember, but they know that somehow they are linked to the United States even if only by their language and passport.

The longer I live outside of the US and the more I observe how my children's national identities are formed, I realize more and more how nationality is such an invented concept. I suppose on the one hand having pride in one's country can be positive to help pull a people together for a common purpose. But on the other hand in order for a group to pull together they are by definition excluding others. And while I feel such a sense of pride in my Mexican heritage, I am glad that my children, one of whom really is Mexican since she was born here, will have an understanding of the man-made and artificial nature of borders and nationality. Hopefully, the experience of living abroad will help them to grow up having respect and compassion for those from foreign borders while still maintaining pride in their family history. Kind of like me. I accept and even respect JR even though he is not a part of La Raza.

I

5 comments:

DJ Positivity said...

OMG, You so Mexican. Your so Ghetto. Your the Ghettoest Mormon in La Raza! And I can see why Jeremy is so Jealous! Viva LA RaZa! T&A

noelle said...

who is this dj positivity person? i'm dying. ghetto mormon. seriously. hilarious. i think i should fly down soon and see those kiddos of yours. they're getting so big!

Bbells said...

hahaha Dj Positivity is Terra. Terra you are hilarious!!

Jenna Rabe said...

1. We have Rabe family gatherings?
2. We should totally eat sauerkraut and bratwursts at those gatherings.
3. Brian doesn't look like anyone in Berlin.
(You can use that third one in your favor.)

Going Tapas said...

I happened upon your blog and have to say I relate very well. My last name is Aguilar, I each Mexican food at every family gathering, my great grandparents had 12 kids and my uncle founded the largest Spanish speaking television station in the country. But I'm as white as a European immigrant. So I always have to explain my Mexican heritage to others. And they laugh like your husband does. Where do we fit in. ;-/